Friday, December 25, 2009

Trading presents for Presence

We have spent a few Christmases, now, away from the traditional celebrations: no gifts, no shopping, no xmas tree, no fruitcake :). While there are sad aspects to this, such as being apart from most of our family, there is a wonderful Presence that comes, in the absence of presents and apart from traditions. This year, Jim, Laura, Ryan, and I truly had no plan, as Kimmy and Randy arrive on the 27th and we agreed to wait to share our Christmas meal with them. How we spent the days of the 24th and 25th was truly spontaneous, based on the waves, the wind, and moment-to-moment decision-making.

We ended up back in Chacala, the place where Ryan and I were married, because it is one of our very favorite places in Mexico. On the day of the 24th, Ryan and I surfed small, mushy waves, which gave me an opportunity to begin rebuilding my confidence on the surfboard (this I truly consider a “gift”). For dinner, we went into town and ate at our favorite local taco stand, off plates covered in plastic. Potted poinsettias on each table gave festivity to the simple setting. This morning, I made chai instead of black tea, and we sat in the cockpit, listening to the “country Christmas” channel on Sirius radio. Remarkable: we haven’t listened to enough Christmas music this season to be sick of it! When we were sufficiently warm, Ryan and I swam into shore and had a blast body-surfing in the shore-pound--this happens to be one of Ryan’s favorite things to do--and simply swimming while pelicans dove all around us for their breakfast. By late morning we had made a loose plan for the next 24 hours that suited everyone’s fancy, pulled the anchor, and enjoyed breakfast as we sailed south from Chacala toward Punta Mita. In each moment, we simply were in the moment, present with each other and our surroundings.

It is an interesting way to spend the Christmas holiday, on a sailboat, in a tropical setting. Generally, travelling by sailboat is a great lesson in being present in the Now. As we sail, there is nothing else we have to do but take note of our surroundings—the great blue ocean, the breezes blowing across our sails, the coastline—this is how we discover all the marvels around us. The wonders just emerge out of each present moment. Our attention to the sea reveals numerous whales, dolphins, birds, and helps us avoid the occasional fishing net :). Our attention to the air teaches us when to raise or lower sails, how to trim them for optimal sailing, and how to appreciate soaring, vicariously, through the birds. Our attention to those around us reminds us of why we love each other.

I am grateful to the holiday we call Christmas because it seems to be a day when people come together and are Present with one another and their surroundings, especially after all the days of deferred excitement that generally lead up to it. I am grateful for my time aboard Brainstorm because it is teaching us to live with that Presence all the time.

This morning I devoted an hour, or more, of my Presence to those I love who are not physically here with me. What this means in my language is that I devoted my whole being to sending you Reiki, love, light, and a reminder that you are divine. I hope you received this humble gift, and I hope you share it with those in your Presence.
Love, Jessica and Ryan

Look! Whales! (What a gift!)





1 comment:

  1. Jess, Ryan -

    Our Christmas present is seeing these pics and knowing we will be with you guys soon to experience the Brainstorm and wonderful friends.

    The official countdown starts today.....don't use up all the good surf - save some of those waves for the visitors!

    Love to you both and to the rest of the family as well!!! Carrie and Alex!

    PS - Jess - you'll need to be my surfing teacher, I wasn't very nice to Al last time he had the patience to help me!

    ReplyDelete