Sunday, December 20, 2009

Artes y Olas







Here we are, again, in Marina La Cruz. We left for the "weekend" to investigate a new surf spot on the south side of Banderas Bay. Since arriving in Banderas Bay, we have been in the north-western part, so this recent trip required that we sail straight across the bay, which takes approximately 3 hours, depending on the wind. The coast over there is different, primarily because it is steeper, which makes for more difficult anchoring (the ocean floor is over 300 feet down, even just 100 feet off the shore). The place we had scoped out had a shelf that allowed for anchoring, but not much shelter from wind and swell. It was fun, perusing the shoreline, looking for this place called Quimixto, which we had read about and heard about. When we found it, we also found a beautiful, steep, and fast wave. Lucky for us, there was another swell arriving from the northwest, so Ryan and Tyler had an excellent day of surf. As for me, I opted out because it was just too advanced for me and my longboard. While I have been a little disgruntled, at times during this trip, trying to face my jitters about surfing, my day on the beach in Quimixto was one of my best days yet. It was truly awesome to watch those waves peeling onto that shelf. I am finally getting into some art, and that day pulled out my watercolors. What I created is posted above: a view of Banderas Bay, the wave, and the granite point at the east edge of the beach. While I was there, I also saw a Panga (small boat) try to land on a small piece of beach (between a granite headlands and granite boulders), during this huge swell. Even with 6 or 7 Mexican men trying to keep this boat off the rocks, the whitewater surging in from the waves smashed the boat into the rocks, turning it sideways and filling it with water. It was quite a drama that unfolded before me, there on the rocks. Through that experience, I found an opportunity to befriend a couple of the local surfers and practice speaking spanish. Generally, recently, I have found many opportunities to practice speaking spanish, and am enjoying the increased knowledge that comes with practice. Quiero aprender mas!!
I have also been experimenting a bit more with photography, which might explain some of the photos I've chosen to post here this time. Every time I find a suitable subject, I take about 30 pictures of it, changing the settings to try to get the light how I want it. I have come up with some decent ones, and am still experimenting.
This evening, Jim and Laura rejoined us. We are, of course, glad to set off on another set of adventures with them. On the flip side, our friend Tyler returns to Montana tomorrow, which marks the end of the fabulous trip we have had with our friends. While we are sad to see him go, we know he will find more good times everywhere he roams, so we're not too worried about his re-entry into life in the states.
That's all for now. We will check in next time there is something new to report.
Lots of love to you and "yours" (ha! whatever that means...)
Jess and Ryan


1 comment:

  1. Hey kids! It was a pleasure partaking the awesome odyssey! I hope the tasty waves continue to real in and the wind blows favorably for the good ship brainstorm! Much love, your BFFL, Tyler

    ReplyDelete